Tuesday 3 April 2007

a lovely goodnight

I have this memory from when I was around 7 years old. My mother coming into my room after she'd been out on the town. Waking me up to check on me and kiss me goodnight. She would bring in the cold fresh air from outside and she would still be wearing her coat, which was wool and scratchy on my sleepy warm cheek. The smell of her perfume would still be lingering around her. She smelled beautiful and feminine and comforting. The combination of all of these senses; her smell, the coolness, the scratchy coat - would wrap around me and make me feel special and important. It was as though she couldn't wait to see me. She didn't have time to take off her coat and warm up, maybe even wash off her makeup and perfume before coming to see me. It was more important to come right to my room, see me and kiss me goodnight.

No comments: