Thursday 15 November 2007

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Can you feel it? Smell it? Taste it? Sense it?
There are big changes brewing. It's in the air.

I used to hate change. Change was scary and different and awful. I'm still a little afraid of change but I am probably more afraid now of staying the same. Jack Canfield wrote about change and I really loved what he had to say about it. It was something about - change is going to happen no matter what, so you can either fight it, roll with it or create it yourself.

Most things that happen in your life, you either allow or create. That is also from the success principles but I can't remember who said it. I love this one too. It forces you to take responsibility for everything in your life. I'm sure I've written about this before but it's on my mind, so I'm writing it again.

Taking responsibility for everything in your life is a really empowering exercise. It helps you see that you have been and always are in control of your own circumstances. You are where you are in life because of the choices you have made. The choices YOU have made. If someone else made choices for you and you went along with them, then you CHOSE to go along with them.

Of course, things happen in life that blindside you, but you still get to choose how you react to them. Do you make the best out of bad situations? Look for the positive? See how there is no point in sweating the small stuff? Realize that getting mad about things you have no control over is a choice? Sadness, anger and fear are realities of life and we have to allow for them. We can let them be though, without giving in to them. Let them exist, let them be. Acknowledge and accept them and then let them go.

Let's say you're mad. You're pissed off, upset, angry, hurt, scared. What are you going to do about it? I'm not calling the feelings a choice. I'm saying that how you answer that question, what are you going to do about it? That's your choice.

I have been thinking about who I am and how I got to be where I am in life. I am currently the result of my past choices. It is always that way. We are always living a little bit behind our choices. When you make big changes, they take time to catch up with you. I started making big changes to become who I am today, nearly 4 years ago. I am becoming who I want to be and I am in the bubble of who I want to be, but there is room to move around in this bubble and I am still waiting for my current behavior to become my past behaviour so that it catches up to me and helps to shape the future me.

Well, that was thoroughly confusing.

3 comments:

Next in Line said...

I love your blog. The only for certain that we can really count on in life, is that change will happen.

Anonymous said...

You're very smart and insightful, my dear cousin! Yes, change is inevitable and for the most part I like to think I welcome it. But at the same time, it's easier to just let things stay the same.

Anonymous said...

Yea I re-read it and this is a very wise entry. We definitely choose how we respond to things, and if we think we don't choose, that's a choice in and of itself. Simply reacting without thinking IS a choice.

I like these insights. Keep 'em coming! :D