Monday 23 November 2009

5 things

1)I am learning to type and while frustrated at my lack of speed and accuracy, I am addicted to practicing. I only hope that means that at some point my muscle memory will kick in and my fingers will be able to find 'i', 'c', 'x' , 'b', and 'p' all on their own without me having to really think about it.

2)I have one more paper to write for my English class and then my final exam which is an in-class essay. I had no idea when I started this semester just how much I was going to enjoy being back in school. The course I took was essay writing and short prose selection. Basically we read short stories, analyzed them and then wrote critical essays about them. I loved it so much more than I expected to.

3)I am picking out my courses for next semester (jumping from one to three if I can get a student loan) and it is really fun and exciting to plan out the things I want to learn. When I got my diploma at Douglas 7 years ago, I was in a closed program. I didn't get to pick a single class to take - it was all set out for me. Now, the options are endless and exciting - English, Art History, Psychology, Sociology, Women's Studies, Religious Studies, Anthropology - it goes on and on and on. I have it narrowed down to three but I'll save disclosing them for another post.

4)I saw Where the Wild Things Are and I keep thinking about it. I am finding it to be one of those movies that has had a slow and lasting impact on me. While watching it, there were parts I absolutely LOVED. There were also parts that I felt pretty 'meh' about. Yes, it was melancholy (I think every review I have seen of WTWTA has that word in it) but it did not make me feel any real sense of nostalgia or sadness. It gets a solid 8.5/10 from me but mostly because of what meaning I gave it. If I had watched this movie at face value I think I would have enjoyed it less. My English course has gotten my brain thinking in analytical terms and it is through that perspective that Where The Wild Things Are goes from being an alright movie to a really good movie for me.

5)I have to get to class now! See ya

1 comment:

Next in Line said...

Maybe jumping from one to three courses...woozers. That is exciting. School is sounding just right for you.