Wednesday 30 December 2009

The year in review. Part one

2009 was dubbed a few different things at various points throughout the year for me. Most of them not very favorable: the worst year ever, the hardest year ever, the suckiest year ever...you get the drift. I clearly remember thinking all the way back in March that I wish 2009 would just end already. Well, here we are. Three days left in the year and oh what a difference a year makes.

About a week ago, I started composing this post in my head. I knew I wanted to write a year in review type post but I also knew that I wanted to keep it uplifting. I wondered how the hell I was going to do that when it was such a terrible year. (by the way, it is worth mentioning that I have read numerous 2009 year-in-reviews by different peeps lately and 2009 seemed to be difficult for a lot of people - coincidence? I think not!)

I started think about how I could write an uplifting post about a tough year and so I grabbed a pen and paper and started making a list of the good things that happened this year, no matter how small. If it was good, it went on the list. As I thought of more and more good things, I started to realize that 2009 wasn't the worst year ever. It was a really challenging year that pushed me to change and grow in ways and places that I had been stuck. It was hard, but I came out stronger, healthier, more faith-filled, and more grounded.

So here is my list of great things that I did or that happened in 2009. I will elaborate on some of these in part two of the year in review.

The Weekend to End Breast Cancer
E's 5 day transfer
going back to school
getting an A+ in English
getting more rooted in the course (a course in miracles)
moving to a great new apt
getting a roommate
having a family that held me up and supported me
figuring out that Cooper LOVES fancy feast
going on a cruise
the women's conference
making new friends
getting a laptop so that I can write anywhere I go
finding a love and passion for walking
being healthy
summer trip to Canim lake
weekend getaways to Nanoose
dad moving to Vancouver
twitter
playing cards at the beach all summer
The cute kiddies in my life: Ziya, Truman, Lily, Harper, Lizzie
discovering the park by my new home
becoming deeply rooted in faith
winning 2 wine drives
having a subscription to entertainment weekly
seeing a lot of movies
getting a ticket to the bronze medal game
glee
true blood
lady gaga
friendly fires
snow patrol
modern family
getting the perfect purple purse 2 years after starting my search

I spent a lot of 2009 feeling anxious and stressed. I spent way too much of my energy in fear. But looking back on the year, a lot of really good things happened. I learned that worrying about the past and trying to plan the future are wastes of energy. I learned that all I ever have is now. I learned that the only way through something is through it. I learned that everything always works out exactly how it should. I learned that a healed mind does not plan. I learned that I am happier and more joyful with faith in my heart.

This year had only one bad experience worth mentioning. Losing my grandpa. I miss him more than I ever expected to. And in the wise words of Forrest Gump - "that's all I have to say about that".

In years to come, I have no idea how I will look back on 2009. And if I've learned anything, it's that it doesn't really matter. All that matters is now. And right now, everything is fine.

No comments: