Tuesday 4 March 2008

It took 4 days.

I nearly went shopping today.

Ok, I say nearly, but that's not entirely accurate. What I really mean is that the thought popped into my head today of "it would be fun to go shopping at Superstore and check out their new clothes." As soon as I thought it, I felt a release of some lovely mood enhancers and I got equally excited and relaxed thinking about shopping for new clothes.

A second later I remembered my committment to not shopping for the month of March and the good feelings evaporated. My sister was just at Superstore and told me that they have cute clothes there NOW. What if they aren't there in a month and I miss out on the greatest thing ever!? I can tell you, "what if?" The answer is nothing, so what, oh well.

This experiment just got more interesting. I thought I was doing it to see how it would affect my budget but I have realized with this incident today that it is going to affect so much more. I have an emotional attachment to shopping and while it may not be huge (or maybe it is - it is possible I'm in denial), it still exists. I love that this month is going to push my boundaries and comfort zones and challenge me.

The other interesting thing is that I actually had a physical reaction to a thought. Nothing changed in my physical environment to make me release endorphines. I had a thought, I got a dose of endorphines. I had another thought and physically felt the depression of those endorphines leaving me. I've read about this but this is my first time experiencing it with an awareness of it. Hmmmmm. Fascinating!

No comments: