Wednesday 28 October 2009

A smattering of subjects

I am sitting in a computer lab and one of the computers is completely doing it's own thing. There is no one sitting in front of it and yet the cursor is moving around the screen clicking on things and pulling things up. It's very eerie.

I am going to try and ignore it while I sit here and write...

I could be doing homework but I so don't feel like it. I need to write a critical essay of a short story and interweave it with the broader topic of either feminism or post colonialism. Seriously, right? I am feeling slightly intimidated by this paper and very happy that I am only taking one class right now. My roommate is in 4 classes and feeling quite overwhelmed by all the homework.

....now the computer beside the other one is doing the same thing...it's spreading...

Speaking of spreading, just this week the Hini (I know that's not it, but calling it the heiney (hini) makes me feel better - as though I am mocking it and making it less of a big deal) - so back to what I was saying... just this week the whole hini scare started to creep into my head. I have been pretty convinced that I am not going to be affected by it. I have no intention of getting sick and am confident that I'll get through flu season unscathed. But on Monday a seed of fear somehow snuck into my brain and started to root.

I watered and nurtured the fear all Monday and Tuesday until this morning I realized that I was taking care of a weed instead of a plant and today, I ripped it out by the roots and tossed it aside. How's that for a metaphor? I am back to feeling confident that I am healthy and will stay that way. This isn't to say that I am throwing caution to the wind though, I am an avid hand washer and have gotten pretty good at not touching my face all day long. I am normally an eye toucher - I wear contacts and end up with my fingers in my eyes multiple times a day - so to have cut that back feels like a big deal.

The computers are at it again...it's like a piano that plays itself...seriously creepy.

Speaking of creepy (ahhh such seamless segues) we went on the ghost train last night at Stanley Park. L and J Dub took Lizzie and so ST and I joined them for the fun. Highlights include ST screaming twice and me getting bitten by a guinea pig. Just a nibble, nothing painful. Also a goat named Mickey growled at ST...actually growled. Funny. I love the ghost train and am sorry I missed it for so many years. I had no idea what I was missing.

Speaking of not knowing what I was missing I think it is time for lunch. I am going to eat and then get started on this pesky homework.

Speaking of pesky...

Just kidding

No comments: