Thursday 5 July 2007

A whole bunch of everything.

Thursday already! Oh how the weeks and days fly by. It was a hot one today! I worked out at Douglas College this morning and then spent the rest of the day with my cousin and her three lovely children. It was a great day.

I love that I am getting my priorities straight finally. Since reading the Success Principles and following them, I have made a lot of changes to how I live my daily life. This week I wrote out a list of weekly goals and posted it on my fridge. They are totally reasonable and doable goals that keep me focused and moving forward.
They aren't boring goals like you'd find on a to do list. There's no "go the the bank, pay the cable bill, pick up shampoo, do laundry". This goal list is way more in line with the things that keep me feeling joyful, happy, peaceful and inspired.
It's things like, "Write 5 blog posts, go to the gym 3 times, write 2 Cooptowns, write a list of 20 things I love to do, do a crossword everyday...etc"

I meant to be talking here about my cousin and her kids and I've gotten sidetracked already.

Speaking of getting sidetracked (here I go), I had a meeting at work today to discuss business type things. The meeting should have taken 15 minutes at most. I had been forewarned that the woman I was meeting with was a talker and would keep me (trapped) until her next appointment showed up or until I could figure out a way to extract myself from the meeting.

I decided, before going into the meeting, that to make my very best impression since this was my first meeting with her ever and she is the one who has the final say in giving me work there or not, that I was not only going to happily stay for as long as she kept me but that I was going to be a full participant in the chattiness. (seriously this whole paragraph is one sentence)

I had no plans to instigate the chattiness but I was certainly going to roll with it. It started almost immediately. She sat down in front of a window, realized that I would only be able to see her in silhouette and moved over while commenting on how if she were smart she'd stay in silhouette because then I would never be able to see her wrinkles. This went down the path of, well 65 is the new 55 and that must mean that 86 is the new 76 and my mother just got back from Hawaii where she had gone for a vacation but spent most of her time at the hospital because she got pneumonia from flying and she certainly isn't 76 even though she seems to think she's 46 (said with a full eye roll).
You know what's interesting here, is that because I decided to participate and stay until she was done with me, I enjoyed myself. She kept me for an hour and 15 minutes until someone knocked on the door and told her that her next appt was waiting. The time flew by. I wasn't clock watching and I was being just as chatty.

Ok for those of you who know who I'm talking about here, don't ever use this as blackmail. I should probably erase this entire post and get back to talking about my cousin and her kids. But I won't and obviously didn't.

Ok but really, back to the kids now. (The woman from my meeting today has rubbed off on me and now I'm the chatty sidetracker)

It was a full, fun day with my cousin. She has three little ones and the oldest of the bunch and I had lots to cover today. We read stories, drew pictures of animals and each other, had lunch, did a couple puzzles, looked through pictures from her recent birthday party, played with playdoh, played with dominoes, read some more and ....I think that's it. It was great spending the day there and I always love visits with my cousin, we are similar and different in all the perfect ways that make it easy to get along.

Here are some pictures from the day. My 6 year old cousin made the Earth, I made the hot dog and the strange creature eating it, my cousin made the pool, The drawings are the three of us in a barrel and the 6 year-old's rendition of me.









No comments: