Sunday 20 January 2008

Most obnoxious neighbours EVER!

Remember the coughers who lived in the building across from me? Well, they were annoying...all that pot smoking and subsequent coughing drove me nuts. My neighbours below me take the cake on obnoxious though.

They woke me repeatedly throughout the night last night, screaming at each other and banging on things. They fight on a pretty regular basis and the fights are always explosive screaming matches that usually take place from two different rooms in the apartment. She'll be in the bedroom and he'll be in the living room and therefore I can hear every word of their fights. They had one about a month ago that ended with her screaming "You're mean! You're a jerk! You're not a very nice person! I don't want to be with you anymore!"

I was thrilled. In my world, that actually means you leave. Relationship over. I've never had the type of relationship where you fight and scream and yell and I don't ever want one like that. And I'm not just talking boyfriend/girlfriend type relationships; I mean parental, sibling, friends...whatever, I've never worked that way. I would hate it. Some people might love it but those people should not live in apartment buildings with thin walls. Or at the very least, they should schedule their fights so that they happen mid-day when nobody is trying to sleep.

I should have held off on feeling thrilled that they were done. No one left. No one moved out. No one broke up with anyone. Instead they stayed together to keep the fight alive.

I should mention that when they aren't fighting, they are enjoying their time together listening to rap. Oh wait, I mean we are listening to rap since it's loud enough that I could sing along and dance if I chose to do so. I did actually do this one night in my pyjamas and high heels so that they could hear how much I was enjoying Gangsta's Paradise. High heels on a hardwood floor is the perfect back beat for Tupac. I guess they didn't agree because they turned the music down quite a bit.

So last night, the fighting started around 2am. It was happening in bouts and they'd be silent for so long that I would finally drift back to sleep thinking it's over, only to wake up half an hour later to some indiscernible insult and the sound of something being banged repeatedly against the wall. The lack of sleep and the negative energy rising up through my floor was making me madder and madder. I lay there thinking of revenge. I'd try and block their negativity. Think nice thoughts, think nice thoughts. This became my mantra. For about 5 seconds. And then I'd be back to revenge. I'll set my alarm for 6am and make a racket, see how they like it.

Oh I forgot to mention that I even had ear plugs in.

Ok, so, I finally fell into a deep sleep around the same time I could hear birds chirping and see that the sky was getting lighter. At around 9am, Cooper came into my room meowing loudly enough for me to hear him through my ear plugs. And then I heard, "Shut up! Shut the FUCK up!" from the lovely *cough* lady *cough* downstairs. I have no idea if it was related to Cooper meowing or not but my gut reaction was to keep Cooper quiet and feel mildly guilty. Well, screw that. I lay in bed for a bit longer, exhausted but unable to fall back to sleep and so I got up.

I am writing this post while it is still fresh (it's 10:40am) and then I am going to put some music on, open my windows and do a nice big pre-spring cleaning. All that moving around and opening and closing cupboards and doors. I think I might even dress up to do it. My heels look great with these pyjamas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man, those neighbours sound annoying! Hopefully it will get better for you soon. Maybe they'll move!