Wednesday 23 May 2007

My dentist is gonna love me

Remember these...



Well I woke up on Sunday morning thinking about them and craving one. It has easily been well over ten years since I've eaten one of these. My mom and I used to buy them and share them and they still remind me of her. We'd either tear into them using all of our various incisors and jaw power to rip off a hunk. Or we'd toss them in the fridge or freezer and then shatter them into bite sized pieces to enjoy.

I told JM on Sunday that I was thinking about Mackintosh toffee bars and that I was craving one and he freaked out because apparently, just that morning, JM went to the gas station to get a coffee and was looking at the Mack box on the shelf considering buying one. He also had not had one in ages. He of course, did not buy one but then began craving one after I started talking about it. He actually sat at the table mimicking eating one. Putting his hands up to his mouth, biting thin air, pulling his arms far away from his mouth stretching the toffee with a big-eyed face, surprised that the fake toffee could stretch so far, looping his hands back to his mouth and trying again to break off the piece in his mouth from the imaginary candy in his hands.

Well, today I tracked one down. I bought two actually. One for right away and one to put in the freezer and shatter later. The packaging was different than I remembered. I remember more red. Before I opened the box, I shook it and was shocked to feel a lot of movement. A lot. I squeezed the sealed box and the toffee inside only took up about half the package. Come on! I mean, go ahead and give the public less toffee if you want but don't dupe us into thinking that we are getting a full box. And quit ruining our planet with all that extra packaging. This mini outrage was not enough to stop me though.

I bit into the toffee and it was just as I remembered. It tasted exactly as it did 15 years ago. I ate about half the bar. At this point my jaw was aching, I was jittery from the sugar and I felt kinda sick to my stomach. And I felt old. Old and sore and jumpy. This didn't make me feel like a wounded freak when I was kid. Or did it? Is this why it has been half a lifetime since I craved a Mack bar? I think that the second bar I bought might be in my freezer until my next craving. In 15 years.


No comments: