Wednesday 16 May 2007

The reason I wear so much black

I am messy.
I generally spill whatever it is I am eating or drinking down the front of me. Or dip my sleeve in it. Or drop it in my lap. On black, most of the time, it just doesn't matter. You can't see the slops and spills and so I can go about all day without people knowing what I slob I am.

I have been trying to wear less black lately and this is the one part that is driving me crazy. I always look messy. That, and now I have to do laundry twice as often. The other day I was on my way to work, driving, listening to talk radio, sipping a coffee and wearing a white shirt. I took a sip of coffee right when the dj said something funny. I smiled and laughed and coffee drooled out of my mouth and down the front of my white shirt. (it just occurred to me that I could start taking a change of shirts everywhere I go.) I had to work and then run errands with a coffee stain on my right boob.

So yesterday, friends of ours (M and C) had TT and I over for a dinner party. I talked to TT shortly before heading over there and said "I just need to get ready and then I am leaving" Alarmed because she was all set to go, TT said back to me "What do you need to do to get ready?" "Oh, I have to change, I am covered in mustard" And I really was. I had at least 4 big splotches of mustard on me. Plus I bought all those cute new clothes so I had to wear something new and fun. (and none of it's black except for the dress). I put on one of my new blue shirts and headed out the door.

So, in keeping with my typical fashion, I spilled red wine on myself while wearing my pretty new shirt. I laughed and pointed it out and tried to dab at it and then just let it dry. You can't get mad when this is something you do daily. I forgot about it and kept eating and visiting and enjoying myself. A couple minutes later I looked down and it was gone. Gone. No stain, no mark, no nothing. You couldn't even tell that I had spilled anything. I believe I have found my new favourite colour to wear and my new favourite shirt. I did a little dance, grabbed my wine to take a sip and slopped it onto my hand and dinner plate.
Some things never change!

3 comments:

SG.Riter said...

I think my dyslexia is kicking in. When I first read this title I thought it said "The reason I swear so much black". All I could think was "black?" is this her new swear word like Ross and Monica's secret two fisted tap sign? Imagine how freaked I was when I realized it was about clothing. Needless to say I was pretty "Blacking" embarassed.

kt said...

LOL. I blacking love it!

Anonymous said...

LOL @ you guys ... haha you should see me Karli driving around trying to eat a meal, drive, and not spill at the same time, it can be quite comical