Sunday 6 May 2007

Sick of being sick

Done. Finished. No more.

I want to feel good. I want to be healthy and be able to breathe deeply through my nose and let it out without coughing. I want to be able to go more than an hour without blowing my nose. I want to sleep through the night without waking up to cough or drink some water because my mouth is so dry from having to sleep with my mouth open because I can't breathe through my nose. I want to have no sinus pain. No chest pain. No throat pain. No headaches.

Alright, now that I have that out of me I can focus on the good. I feel better than I did last week. I have been fortunate to have this time off work so I haven't had to miss any work since I've been sick. I go back to work tomorrow and am well enough to do so. I have a safe, warm home to be sick in and a cat to keep me company (and busy). I have my overall health. Nothing about this cold is life or death.

I emailed my chiropractor and chinese medicine doctors yesterday with a desperate plea. What do I do. I feel awful. I can't sleep because of the pressure in my sinuses and at this point I am just frustrated and emotional. It's been three weeks and just six weeks since my last cold. This isn't normal for me. I am generally a one cold a year kinda girl. I am tempted to go see my GP but she will give me antibiotics and I don't want to take them if I don't need to. We have enough superbugs already. I believe this is one of them. (Stop getting flu shots people! Yes, the flu sucks but we are only making it a meaner, harder to shake kind of flu.)

My Dr of CM emailed me back. Come pick up a herb to take and start doing sinus irrigations with salt and baking soda in water.

I picked up the herb and made it into tea to drink. Then I mixed salt and baking soda into warm water and flushed out my sinuses. (A weird but not entirely unpleasant feeling). I left the mixture on the counter to use again later. Later in the evening Cooper puked and when I went to clean up the hairball, all I found was a puddle of dirty water. He puked again minutes later and it was the same thing. Then I went into the bedroom and found two more puddles of watery puke. I am guessing that Coop drank the salty, baking soda-y water and found that it wasn't meant for drinking. I tossed the batch and made a fresh one. I can't imagine it'll do any damage to him. (update on Coop - He is perfectly fine and playful today and avoiding the water mixture on the kitchen counter)

Update on me today - my sinuses aren't so congested but I am still blowing my nose every other hour and have developed a lovely cough trying to get the fluid out of my chest. I am not ready to give up on fighting this naturally, I don't think antibiotics would do anything for me anyway. Once tomorrow comes and I am back at work and busy again, I am hoping that I even just forget about being sick. I hope for a distraction if not health. Health would be preferable but I will gladly take the distraction.

No comments: